The user options of the present version have been tailored to the needs of the water authorities in the Heihe River Basin. The graphical user interface could however also be modified and linked to other parameters. The fundamental settings for the Heihe Basin authorities currently include:
- The selection of one amongst 21 irrigation districts
- Specification of the irrigated area within the district
- Modification of the irrigation water requirement per unit area
(e.g. by water saving irrigation or change of cropping system)
- Modification of the ratio of surfacewater to groundwater use
- Variation of the forecasting time horizon
Advanced options include simulation of changes in streamflow or boundary inflow, resulting for instance from changes in flow regime due to climate change. As soon as any of these parameters are modified, the results are recalculated and displayed.